Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Military Nuts. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Google Only search Militarynuts.com

Sea Skua missiles
ALPHA84
Posted: Mar 16 2006, 12:34 AM

Master Sergeant

Group: Members
Member No.: 177

Hmm..... recently, we read on the papers that Malaysia navy just test fired their newly bought Sea Skua missiles. Considering the limited range of such heli-borne missiles, wat applications does it have. Does it greatly affect the strategic balance of the region as I think she is the first to have such a ability, and that most vessels in the region lacks credible air defence except the Deltas.Does RSN have any desire to acquire heli-borne missiles? blink.gif ninja.gif
YourFather
Posted: Mar 16 2006, 12:47 AM

Major

Member No.: 68

There are only a few main contenders for heli-borne ASM missiles, IIRC. The Penguin, the Sea Skua. The Sea Skua is going out of production, while the NSM will be entering this select club of ASM missiles soon. Interesting to see what missile will be chosen. Of course, this depends on there being a requirement for a heli-launched ASM, but I think we can reasonably assume there to be one.

--------------------
I don't quarrel with baboons.
Theory
Posted: Mar 16 2006, 01:00 AM

Staff Sergeant

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 56

Indeed, it is probably safe to assume that there will be some missile or other, though nothing has publicly been declared. The S-70B can operate the Penguin, presumably the NSM, and Hellfires--the last of which is just right for smaller targets (rather than waste a whole Penguin or NSM). And this is apart from the usual torps.

On the NSM, which is meant to replace the Penguin
http://www.kongsberg.com/eng/kda/products/...ame.asp?Id=8050

Earlier press release on Turkey equipping its S-70Bs with Hellfire II
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage...112&ti=0&sc=400
homing
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 04:06 AM

Captain

Member No.: 214

If needed our Super Puma helicopter can be mounted with excoet missile but sadly Singapore didi not want that option to be avaiable. Imagine the excoet on or fired from a Super Puma. Hellfire are good missile against small sea vessels but harder to use as not a true sea skimming missile.

--------------------
WE LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES WHERE DANGER IS ALWAYS AROUND THE CORNER !!!

spiderweb6969
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 06:25 AM

Major

Member No.: 111

March 16, 2006 19:45 PM

Sea Skua Missile Misfires In First Test In Southeast Asia

LUMUT, March 16 (Bernama) -- A "Sea Skua" guided missile misfired Thursday, in the first test conducted in Southeast Asia, in the waters off Kuala Beruas near Pantai Remis in Perak, Chief of Navy Admiral Datuk Ilyas Din said.

Matra BAE Dynamics of the United Kingdom, which conducted the test for the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN), identified a technical problem as the cause of the failure, he added.

The missile, fired at 11 am from a Super Lynx 300 attack helicopter at a wreckage of a ship eight nautical miles away, failed to hit its target and fell into the sea without exploding.

The company would carry out an investigation to determine the cause of the problem in two or three days, well before the second test that is scheduled a week from now,
Ilyas told reporters on board the RMN vessel, KD Mahawangsa, here.

The 2.5-metre-long Sea Skua weighing 1.45 kg is an all-weather, day and night sea skimming anti-ship missile equipped with a semi-active radar homing head that can sink a ship from a distance of 18km.

Sea Skua missiles were used in the Gulf War of 1991 and 200 were fired from the Lynx helicopters of the British Royal Navy.

The missiles are used by the armed forces of Brazil, Germany, South Korea and Turkey.

Thursday's Sea Skua missile test was the first conducted in Southeast Asia because Malaysia is the only country in the region to purchase the missiles, the complete package of which cost 16 million pounds sterling (about RM103 million).

The agreement to purchase was made in 2001 and the supply of the missiles to the RMN began last year.

-- BERNAMA

--------------------
user posted image
Black Aces
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 09:19 AM

Black Aces

Member No.: 175

Luckily for the RMN (launch aircraft) that the missile went @#$% after the launch. Imagine the big hoohah IF the missile was to explode during the release from the missile rail?

Imagine the headline "SEA SKUA SCORES ITS FIRST AIR-TO-AIR VICTORY!"

If I'm the operator of the SEA SKUA now, I'll immediately check the operational status of that missile!

--------------------
The urge for DESTRUCTION is also a CREATIVE urge user posted image
ChineseJunk
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 11:25 AM

1st Lieutenant

Member No.: 22

The Star
Friday March 17, 2006

Sea Skua fails live fire test

By CHRISTINA KOH

LUMUT: The Royal Malaysian Navy has tentatively scheduled next Thursday to test fire the Sea Skua guided missile after the first missile failed to hit its target during the inaugural test yesterday.

The missile developed technical difficulties at 11am and sank into the Straits of Malacca after its booster rocket failed to ignite.

The missile, launched from the navy's Super Lynx 300 MK100 helicopter from a height of 90m, was supposed to strike a barge about eight nautical miles away.

The test site is 32 nautical miles west of Kuala Beruas, 50km from here.

RMN chief Laksamana Datuk Ilyas Din said the test was a contractual firing between Matra Bae Dynamics (MBDA) and the navy, which had signed a contract with the British company in 2001.

The contractual firing yesterday, he said, was for two missiles but the navy decided to hold back the firing of the second missile until it had analysed the problem.

“It would be useless (to fire the second missile) if we don't know what the exact problem was,” he told a press conference on board the KD Mahawangsa in the Straits of Malacca.

“I was told a report should be ready in two or three days.”

Three MBDA engineers had been present during the test, which involved nine navy vessels and five helicopters.

Laksamana Ilyas said divers and ships were quickly sent out to search for the sunken missile, which will not detonate without ignition.

Laksamana Ilyas added that the navy would only pay MBDA the full amount for the missiles and firing system once the navy received proof that the missiles worked.

According to the contract, MBDA is obligated to replace any missile for future tests in the event of technical failure.

- ENDS -

So they drop-launched the thing and it fell into the sea.

This post has been edited by ChineseJunk on Mar 17 2006, 11:26 AM

--------------------
Catch my blog at --> http://kementah.blogspot.com/
kotay
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 11:31 AM

Captain

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (ChineseJunk @ Mar 17 2006, 11:25 AM)

Big difference from the initial report ...

The missile, fired at 11 am from a Super Lynx 300 attack helicopter at a wreckage of a ship eight nautical miles away, failed to hit its target and fell into the sea without exploding.

which sounds more like it flew the distance but failed to hit the target.

Best bit is that they won't have to pay for this missle. Give the contract negotiator a bonus/promotion. smile.gif
ChineseJunk
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 01:23 PM

1st Lieutenant

Member No.: 22

Here's the New Straits Times version:

Faulty rocket booster foils missile test

Lumut, 16 March 2006

A British-made Sea Skua guided missile dropped like a stone into the Straits of Malacca today (16 March 2006) when its rocket booster failed to ignite. Disappointed but undeterred, Royal Malaysian Navy chief Laksamana Datuk Ilyas Din told reporters that a second contractual firing test will be held by March 23.

"We will not accept the missiles unless they are proven to work," he said aboard the KD Mahawangsa after witnessing the contractual firing test.

Although Malaysia purchased the missiles and firing system from Britain through missile system maker Matra Bae Dynamics (MBDA) four years ago, it has yet to accept the missiles and pay the full price of £16 million (about RM104 million), he said.

On the failure of the test, Ilyas said it was due to a technical fault in the missile and not the firing system.

Neither were the skills of the pilot and tactical officer on the firing Super Lynx 300 MK100 helicopter in question, he added.

This was verified by MBDA engineers who conducted the tests and investigated the incident today, he added.

With nine ships and four helicopters involved in supporting the firing test today, Ilyas estimated today’s test to cost over RM250,000.

He said this should not be considered a waste as the exercise had provided training to the RMN, allowing it to test the missile firing system from the Super Lynx.

However, plans to fire a second missile at 12.45pm were aborted with Ilyas explaining that there was no point in launching it without knowing the source of the problem with the first missile.

- ENDS -

--------------------
Catch my blog at --> http://kementah.blogspot.com/
diCam
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 02:10 PM

Captain

Member No.: 222

QUOTE (ChineseJunk @ Mar 17 2006, 01:23 PM)
Here's the New Straits Times version:

Faulty rocket booster foils missile test

Lumut, 16 March 2006

A British-made Sea Skua guided missile dropped like a stone into the Straits of Malacca today (16 March 2006) when its rocket booster failed to ignite. Disappointed but undeterred, Royal Malaysian Navy chief Laksamana Datuk Ilyas Din told reporters that a second contractual firing test will be held by March 23.

"We will not accept the missiles unless they are proven to work," he said aboard the KD Mahawangsa after witnessing the contractual firing test.

Although Malaysia purchased the missiles and firing system from Britain through missile system maker Matra Bae Dynamics (MBDA) four years ago, it has yet to accept the missiles and pay the full price of £16 million (about RM104 million), he said.

On the failure of the test, Ilyas said it was due to a technical fault in the missile and not the firing system.

Neither were the skills of the pilot and tactical officer on the firing Super Lynx 300 MK100 helicopter in question, he added.

This was verified by MBDA engineers who conducted the tests and investigated the incident today, he added.

With nine ships and four helicopters involved in supporting the firing test today, Ilyas estimated today’s test to cost over RM250,000.

He said this should not be considered a waste as the exercise had provided training to the RMN, allowing it to test the missile firing system from the Super Lynx.

However, plans to fire a second missile at 12.45pm were aborted with Ilyas explaining that there was no point in launching it without knowing the source of the problem with the first missile.

- ENDS -

It seems to me that the armed force of our northern neighbour always have problems with their newly acquired weapon system. Previously, we have read of the technical difficulties they faced (or are they still facing it?) with the integration of combat system into their newly built frigate. I believe there are many others also. Is it a case of selection issues?

By the way, I don't think the Sea Skua missiles they acquired will affect the strategic balance in the immediate region. cool.gif IIRC, Spike range of missile can be heli-borne too. ninja.gif

--------------------
Joe Black
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 03:11 PM

Captain

Member No.: 34

Its more like they kept having problems with British made stuff... smile.gif
homing
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 03:53 PM

Captain

What expensive firework may it be if the Sea Skua missile had expolded on the RMN's Super Lynx 300 MK 100. I personally think Sea Skua is facing out dated, out range and out class by newer more capable sea skimming missile on the market.

This post has been edited by homing on Mar 17 2006, 03:54 PM

--------------------

Sayaret
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 03:55 PM

Major

Member No.: 202

hee hee...imagine our norther neighbours who tot they bought an ASM, but upon firing it, they also discovered that they had a Torpedo!! Hahahahaha....no offense intended, just teasing.... could the incident have anything to do with the fact that they have yet to make payments?? Afterall, the Brits are expecting cash and not palm oil !! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"My posts are solely based on personal perspectives and not targeted at any minority nor majority parties' interests. Will not be liable for others' mis-interpretations nor inability to comprehend"
Iowa_BB61
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 04:23 PM

Captain

Member No.: 186

QUOTE (Sayerat @ 17 MAR 2006)

QUOTE (Homing @ 17 MAR 2006)

QUOTE (Joe Black @ 17 MAR 2006)

QUOTE (diCam @ 17 MAR 2006)

QUOTE (Black Aces @ 17 MAR 2006)

Luckily for the RMN (Launch Aircraft) that the missile went @#$% after the launch. Imagine the big hoohah IF the missile was to explode during the release from the missile rail?

Imagine the headline "SEA SKUA SCORES ITS FIRST AIR-TO-AIR VICTORY!" If I'm the operator of the SEA SKUA now, I'll immediately check the operational status of that missile!

It seems to me that the armed force of our northern neighbour always have problems with their newly acquired weapon system. Previously, we have read of the technical difficulties they faced (or are they still facing it?) with the integration of combat system into their newly built frigate. I believe there are many others also. Is it a case of selection issues?

By the way, I don't think the Sea Skua missiles they acquired will affect the strategic balance in the immediate region. IIRC, Spike range of missile can be heli-borne too.

Its more like they kept having problems with British-made stuff...

What expensive firework may it be if the Sea Skua missile had expolded on the RMN's Super Lynx 300 MK 100. I personally think Sea Skua is facing out-dated, out-range and out-class by newer more capable sea skimming missile on the market.

Hee Hee... imagine our norther neighbours who tot they bought an ASM, but upon firing it, they also discovered that they had a Torpedo!! Hahaha... no offense intended, just teasing... could the incident have anything to do with the fact that they have yet to make payments??? Afterall, the Brits are expecting cash and not palm oil !!!

It's not uncommon for live firing excercises to go haywire..., no fault on the part of the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN). Only a matter, of extensive publicity (Too Much For Their Own Good) generated by its government, i'm sure the SAF and Singapore Technologies Enginnering have its equal shares of failures as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Project-ION Phoenix ** ** Op. IceBerge ** ** Iowa_BB61 ** ** xxKuZNeTxx **

------------------

This post has been edited by Iowa_BB61 on Mar 17 2006, 04:40 PM
Theory
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 04:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 56

The Sea Skua may be a bit dated (I mean, this thing saw action during the Falklands!) but it's still quite a missile: 12 shots for 12 hits during GW1. I don't think even the Exocet has that kind of record.

As for the Malaysians: better luck next time...
YourFather
Posted: Mar 17 2006, 08:25 PM

Major

That's what these exercises are for - make sure the stuff works as the manufacturer promised. Better for them that it doesn't work now rather than when they really need it to work. The Sea Skua is a proven system - not necessarily a dated system, unless there hasn't been efforts to update the missile at all during all these times. After all, the Harpoon is also of almost the same vintage, and the Harpoon isn't exactly dated. Still, with the shutting down of Sea Skua production, there probably won't be further updates to the missile, nor can they purchase more Sea Skuas in future.

--------------------
homing
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 03:22 AM

Captain

Malaysian Navy forgot to check the expired service date and decided to fire off the Sea Skua Missile. No wonder this type of "mircale" can happen.

Joking only dun take it too seriously!

This post has been edited by homing on Mar 20 2006, 03:23 AM

--------------------

spiderweb6969
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 04:00 PM

Major

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (kotay @ Mar 17 2006, 11:31 AM)

Best bit is that they won't have to pay for this missle. Give the contract negotiator a bonus/promotion. smile.gif

i just bought their magazine "Tempur" april issue yesterday at JB, 1 of the article (5 pages) is about sea squa. this is what i found out, they have 48 sea squa in their inventory, the rocket booster doesnt work, you can see it with photo showing from releasing the missile to missile just fall into the sea (4 photo in sequence) and MBDA is responsible for the replacement of the failed missile.

--------------------
user posted image
LazerLordz
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 04:07 PM

The Empire of Dreams

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (spiderweb6969 @ Apr 23 2006, 04:00 PM)
QUOTE (kotay @ Mar 17 2006, 11:31 AM)

i just bought their magazine "Tempur" april issue yesterday at JB, 1 of the article (5 pages) is about sea squa. this is what i found out, they have 48 sea squa in their inventory, the rocket booster doesnt work, you can see it with photo showing from releasing the missile to missile just fall into the sea (4 photo in sequence) and MBDA is responsible for the replacement of the failed missile.

That's why maintenance and spares supply workflow is as important as weapon choice. In fact, it might cost much more in investment than the purchase of the actual missiles in the long run. wink.gif

--------------------
You cannot conceive the many without the one ~ Plato, Dialogues, Parmenides

user posted image
YourFather
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 04:40 PM

Major

48 Sea Skuas? Not often that one actually sees an inventory number... Tempur seems like a pretty good mag, judging from the Tempur articles I have gotten over the net. Much better than the ADJ, which is a joke.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1061 seconds | Archive

Google Only search Militarynuts.com